Amanda Ciarci - Aug 5, 2019

How to Generate More Reviews

Did you know that 90 percent of customers will only consider using a business if it has an average of at least 3 to 5 stars? Faced with more choices than ever, today’s consumer places a heavy emphasis on honest feedback from others, with 88 percent trusting online reviews as much or more than personal recommendations from friends and family.

Your business’ reputation is one of its most invaluable assets, and often when you look up an organization in a search engine, one of the first pieces of information you will stumble upon is its ranking on sites such as Yelp or Facebook. Search engines like Google and Bing place priority on results that reflect the user’s location, so an individual looking for a restaurant in Massachusetts won't find themselves on the website of a similarly named establishment located in Texas. While your location works in your favor, these sites will then sort results by factors such as reviews, meaning that 10% of your business’ online visibility is calculated solely off how many reviews it has received. The benefits of a high quantity of quality reviews are clear, so how do you generate more positive word-of-mouth online?

photo-1516321497487-e288fb19713f

Claim Listings

A business’ first step to gaining more reviews is to claim their own listings in order to build an online footprint to interact and engage with consumers directly. 60 percent of consumers look at Google for reviews, but that leaves the other 40 percent using other sites including Yelp and TripAdvisor to get information on a business before they make a purchase. Casting a wide net not only ensures that you are capturing your consumers on their preferred site, but you will also be able to keep track of any mention of your business online.

Leverage Your Brand Champions

Brand champions go beyond consistently purchasing a product or subscribing to a service: this is someone who will actively recommend your business to friends and family, making them your company’s most valuable customer. Tools such as Customer Voice give you the flexibility to request reviews on the medium that works best for your customers—either text message or email. Building a consistent network of positive reviews will lead to a revenue increase of at least 18%. Following a sale, a business owner or employee should proactively share with a customer that honest reviews help others and provide perspective on the company.

Learn from the Negative

Although every business owner would love for each customer experience to be positive, it is important to treat a negative review as an opportunity to learn and grow. 94 percent of consumers say that a bad review has convinced them to avoid a business, however, business owners can mitigate this effect by responding within 48 hours. Thank the reviewer for taking the time to share their experience with you, taking the time to apologize and admit responsibility for the incident. In your concluding remark, you can highlight what direct change or outcome came of their review, demonstrating that their feedback was heard.

photo-1501250987900-211872d97eaa

It can be overwhelming for business owners to dive into the world of reviews, but ultimately, monitoring and responding to sites such as TripAdvisor, Yelp, and Facebook can directly impact your business for the better, generating site traffic and even new revenue. Our unique social media packages can take the burden off of your plate, so you can focus on providing your customers with a great experience!

online marketing assessment

Sources: https://www.assertive-media.co.uk/blog/some-key-facts-from-brightlocals-2015-local-consumer-review-survey/

https://moz.com/local-search-ranking-factors

https://www.reviewtrackers.com/reports/online-reviews-survey/

Written by Amanda Ciarci